We recently killed three birds with one stone, which is not only a literal trifecta of awesomeness, but when you have 4 kids with crazy schedules and you can get them all together at one time to achieve this - MOTHERLOAD! Here is what we accomplished a few weeks ago - a hike at a beautiful state park, some photos of all of the kids together with a fabulous backdrop and a delicious meal, all together. You know what else? We did all of this without having to get everyone in and out, in and out, in and out of the car - would you like my step by step plan?
- Head over to the Nathan Cooper Historic Grist Mill in Chester - park the car.
- Pictures - the Mill is a lovely backdrop for photos, and there is also a really cool tunnel under the road that makes for a fun shot from behind. Grab a few shots here and there will be plenty of other opportunities along the trail to stop as well.
- Take the Black River Trail and hike into Hacklebarney State Park. There are maps and information right at the trail head.
- After your return, leave the car, walk across the street to The Old Mill Tavern for a delicious lunch or dinner.
We asked our friends over at The Old Mill to help us inspire you to enjoy this itinerary, and they were happy to offer up a gift certificate GIVEAWAY! You know what that means? Not only can you have an awesome adventurous day and a great meal, but all that can be FREE! We love it! Your kids will love the menu at The Old Mill, all the kid staples, choice of side, and REALLY yummy desserts! The insider tip for parents - ask for a seat "in the back", and your kids will enjoy playing a few old-fashioned video games while you can enjoy anything they have on tap! For adult eats, I highly recommend the burgers, which come from the Chester Meat Market and are amazing. If it just so happens to work out that this adventure occurs on a Sunday, you'll have a hard time passing up The Mill's Sunday Bloody Mary Bar, complete with pickle-infused vodka, shrimp, BACON, blue-cheese stuffed olives, just to name a few of the out-of-this-world garnishes. I may have visited on a Sunday, just a few times!
Here is how to enter the GIVEAWAY for a $60 gift certificate from The Old Mill Tavern:
1. Make sure you are a subscriber to Macaroni Kid West Morris
3. Fill out this FORM
The winner will be drawn at 9am on 5.24.18, and notified by email after verification of the steps above. Good Luck!